Tuesday, December 10, 2002

Class warfare

I need some help figuring this out and, yes, I'm looking at you, TalkLeft. I'm still trying to figure out how it is that America's enlisted service members can continually be denied their constitutional rights by the Universal Code of Military Justice. Soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines are not allowed trial by a jury of their peers, are denied their Fifth Amendment rights (which are automatically denied them by the amendment itself during wartime) and face a court system which is pretty clearly stacked against them. I saw much of this when I was in the Navy -- officers who were whisked off to other assignments when they screwed up and enlisted sailors who were simply canned -- and felt that there was a failing somewhere in a system that held leaders to a lower standard of conduct than their subordinates.

I don't want to say it, but I will: How can the people who defend the country be denied its most basic protections?

Note: For those of you who are coming to blogs assbackwards (reading me before you've read Los Blogos Primeros), TalkLeft is the blogchiridion of justice issues.


Post a Comment

<< Home