Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Jay Nordlinger, Dumbass

Apparently, like Poppy Bush and the grocery scanner, Nordlinger is amazed by the simplest things:

I collect Bush talk, as you know (along with Rumsfeld talk and some other choice verbal specimens). I'm sure I was not alone in enjoying what Bush said when asked about a terrorist "ceasefire" in the Middle East: "I'll believe it when I see it." Blunt, honest, easily comprehensible, Trumanesque: That's Bush talk. I love the eloquent speeches, written by those marvelous speechwriters. But I love just plain, unadorned, from-the-gut W. talk, too. (Link via TBogg)

The plain, unadorned Tom Brokaw:

Zucker and newsman Tom Brokaw both agree Bill (Clinton) would bring huge ratings, but Brokaw says, "I'll believe it when I see it."

The blunt Stacy Owen, television news director:

"They (the military) are promising more access and more openness. But the proof is in the pudding," she said. "I'll believe it when I see it."

The Trumanesque unnamed Iraqi woman:

Mohammed Saeed al Sahhaf, Iraqi information minister, dismissed US reports about their advance saying that they were not true. He added: "They are not near Baghdad, they are trapped everywhere in the country. We will keep them on the move. We'll continue striking them until they fail."

His scepticism was shared by many residents of Baghdad. "I'll believe it when I see it," said one woman who asked not to be named. Hannam, a 43-year-old mother of five said she no longer knew what to believe: "There are contradictions. Every channel says something different."

The unadorned man on the street who doesn’t buy Bush’s drug plan bullshit:

President Bush went first, gliding onto the Connecticut Democrat's home turf with an appearance at New Britain General Hospital and a promise to push for a Medicare drug benefit and a new directive to give seniors easier and quicker access to less-expensive generic drugs...
"I'll believe it when I see it," said Oscar Lamothe, after hearing the president's speech. "I am paying $1,000 a month for prescriptions for me and my wife."

Again, you heard it here first: Jay Nordlinger is a dumbass.


Post a Comment

<< Home