Monday, September 15, 2003

George Will argues what the meaning of "is no" is

I called the office of Bo Jones, publisher of the Washington Post, today. I spoke to his assistant. Her name is Alice and she was all kinds of nice. She said she would find someone who could call me about my problem with the George Will column in which he smeared General Wesley Clark (go here for the latest).

After about six hours, I called her back and was told that she'd received an e-mail about the issue. Her demeanor was a bit chillier. Apparently, many people have called and, as the e-mail's author told her (and she relayed to me), "What George meant in context is that no institution exists as Clark described it."

I would probably, she said, receive no further contact from the Post.

I want you to think about that for a second, people.

Here's the section of the George Will column again:

As Clark crisscrosses the country listening for a clamor for him ("I expect to have my decision made by Sept. 19," when he visits Iowa -- feel the suspense), he compounds the confusion that began when he said on June 15 that on 9/11 "I got a call at my home" saying that when he was to appear on CNN, "You've got to say this is connected" to Iraq. "It came from the White House, it came from people around the White House. It came from all over." But who exactly called Clark?

July 1: "A fellow in Canada who is part of a Middle Eastern think tank." There is no such Canadian institution.

George Will says that there is no such thing as an institution which is Canadian, is a think tank and is "Middle Eastern," which I think everyone would take as meaning focused on Middle East issues in this context. What other way could there be?

Even today, George Will called Democrats "a party nostalgic for Mr. It Depends on What the Meaning of 'Is' Is."

The man has not a bit of shame, apparently, about being a bald-faced liar.

If I were you, I might consider giving Bo Jones' office a call and asking him how he can put up with this kind of crap. His number is 202.334.6505 and his e-mail address is

Update: For those e-mailers who suggest that I've become a little obsessed about a single issue, I give you this site, where George Will is being quoted -- in fact, they are the very paragraphs I have proven are false -- in order to smear the general. You see, we didn't fight these lies when Gore was running and they became "common knowledge." We need to fight every lie tooth and nail and, just like in math class, we need to "show our work" as I've done here. That way, people know that the lie's a lie and that the media clearly isn't interested in cleaning up its mistakes.


Post a Comment

<< Home