Saturday, October 04, 2003

O'Reilly's a lying asshole, Chapter 102

I was in the car earlier and caught the opening of O'Reilly's radio show. He said that he wanted people to call in but they should be prepared to back up any comments they're going to make and couldn't just rely on "character assassination." I figured he was talking about Rush Limbaugh and, sure enough, he proved it by going straight into a little bit about how it seemed like there might be some truth to the Limbaugh charges because he'd hired a big-time Miami defense attorney already.

Then O'Reilly lied his ass off.

He said that, if they were true, they were sad. "We feel bad for people who are addicted to drugs. We really do."

Hasn't this bastard learned yet that this is the internet era? Here's what he said December 5, 2002, about Whitney Houston, after she talked about her drug problems in an interview with Diane Sawyer:

O'REILLY: .... she was posing.

IRA KRAMER, M.D., NEW YORK CENTER FOR ADDICTION: ... presenting a veneer.

O'REILLY: Right. "I'm tough." You know, "I'm"...

KRAMER: She is tough.

O'REILLY: No, she's not.

KRAMER: She's vulnerable.

O'REILLY: Well, she's -- that's not the same as tough. If you're tough, you don't need alcohol or drugs, all right. You can make it on your own.

KRAMER: Well, I...

O'REILLY: Tough people don't need it.

KRAMER: I think that it's the drugs that make people drug addicts, not the personality. I'm often asked, "Who's a drug addict? Who can become a drug addict?"

O'REILLY: Anybody can.

KRAMER: Anybody because...


KRAMER: ... because the drugs are addictive.

O'REILLY: But, if you're tough, you don't seek it. If you seek it, you're looking for something else. Strong, tough people make it on their own, not to say that you can't become tough.

KRAMER: She looked to me like a vulnerable girl.

O'REILLY: She is vulnerable, but, look, I'm...

KRAMER: Yes. Very, very much so.

O'REILLY: I'm not feeling sorry for her. You are. I'm not.

And on April 24, 2001, he said this about Daryl Strawberry.

O'REILLY: (H)e simply cannot or will not push away from the narcotics. He won't do it... That tells me that he's too weak, he's too weak to do it, he doesn't want to do it...

All right, now, who should pay for his psychic rehabilitation? You and me? Should we pay for this?


O'REILLY: We should.

MORRIS: I think so.

O'REILLY: Oh, come on.

MORRIS: To save a human being, yes. To save a human being, yes. You go look at Congress, they're willing to allocate $3 million to see if turtles lay their eggs east or west of the turnpike. So, I mean, come on. It's not about money, it's about human beings and whether or not -- is this guy worth saving? And I say that...

O'REILLY: Even -- you know, I would suggest -- I would agree with you, if a guy would come in and say, I really want to be saved, I really do, but you know as well as I do that most junkies don't. They like what they do, they like being high, they like having no responsibilities. I'm supposed to pay to help them?

MORRIS: I don't agree with that. You go look at people -- look at the kid who was Archie Bunker's son. He killed himself because he couldn't get off of cocaine. Come on, man, snap out of it. It's not about whether or not he's getting high, it's about whether or not he wants to make the kind of choices that make his life work, and make the people around him...

O'REILLY: You know what it's about, Mr. Morris? It's about controlling yourself. And people -- some people can't. And I say, if you can't control yourself, I don't want to pay for you, but I'm willing to incarcerate you in a therapeutic environment to take you away and protect you from yourself. It works.

So we'll see if O'Reilly pushes for the incarceration of Rush Limbaugh, because it appears, so far, that his "sadness" about peoples' addictions are reserved for conservative white guys.


Post a Comment

<< Home