Friday, November 07, 2003

Drudge goes after Lynch book

As many of you know, I'm going to be away for a while. I've invited some people to take over this blog and may not show up here for a year or more. Be kind to them. (If you're not sure why I'll be away, here's a hint.)

I just couldn't go, though, without pointing out a new, despicable move by the right to discredit Jessica Lynch's book and, by extension, to attack her.

Why would anyone do this, you ask? Because she's honest:

Asked by the ABC News anchor Diane Sawyer if the military's portrayal of the rescue bothered her, Ms. Lynch said: "Yeah, it does. It does that they used me as a way to symbolize all this stuff. Yeah, it's wrong," according to a partial transcript of the interview to be broadcast on Tuesday.


Asked how she felt about the reports of her heroism, Ms. Lynch told Ms. Sawyer, "It hurt in a way that people would make up stories that they had no truth about. Only I would have been able to know that, because the other four people on my vehicle aren't here to tell the story. So I would have been the only one able to say, yeah, I went down shooting. But I didn't."

And from Drudge, we get this:

Asked about claims the military exaggerated danger of the rescue mission: 'Yeah, I don't think it happened quite like that'...

So the right needs to now discredit this media darling before she flattens the wheels on their little red war wagon. How? By trying to make it seem like certain "claims" made about her ordeal in Iraq are exaggerated. Make her story suspicious and then you can say, "Well, she just didn't know what went on."

Unfortunately for these guys, they forget that the devil's in the details and, had any of these chickenhawk bullshit artists served a day in the military, they would know when their legs are being pulled. Check out Drudge:


IRAQI DOCTOR: 'Her clothes were not torn, buttons had not come off, her pants were zipped up'...
'Why are they saying such things?' another presiding physician said. 'We were good to her...' Developing...

Of course, Lynch has always said the doctors were good to her.

"From the time I woke up in that hospital, no one beat me, no one slapped me, no one, nothing," Ms. Lynch told Diane Sawyer, adding, "I'm so thankful for those people, because that's why I'm alive today."

So that's a non-issue. What's interesting is that Drudge's Iraqi doctor remembers that "her pants were zipped up." That's some memory, considering how hectic it all might have been. It's even more amazing, considering the fact that BDU* pants are all button fly!

A small detail, yes, but something I think you'd get right if you really remembered the incident.

(*"Battle Dress Uniform," in the Army.)


Post a Comment

<< Home