Monday, July 26, 2004

The Big Dog Still Has It

You can love him, you can hate him, or you can (like I do) fall somewhere in between. But NO ONE can deny Bill Clinton's gift. I never voted for Clinton; I entered a protest write-in vote knowing it was safe to do so. I have to admit he turned out to be a better President than I had imagined - let's hope I'm really wrong about Kerry. Wherever John Kerry is tonight you can bet he's glad there are three days between his performance and that of President Clinton's tonight. He is soooooo good. He did not miss an opportunity. He gave us a theme of unity ... creating a more perfect union. One of diverse beliefs, colors, orientations and he didn't attack Bush and the Republican Congress but rather praised them for their love of country and strength of convictions as he simultaneously pointed out what those convictions have wrought. He drew a stark contrast between the results of 12 years of Republican rule before him and 4 years of Republican rule behind him versus 8 years under Clinton/Gore. As Billy Crystal might say, "He was ... mahvelus". I can't help but wonder what he would have been able to do with an appealing candidate.

Al Gore gave a decent speech and had a few good lines e.g., "You win some, You lose some and then there's that third category ..." and gave special thanks Bill Clinton. I'm sure he wishes he'd reconciled that one about 4 years ago - his pain is still visible when he speaks.

My man Jimmy (a man for whom I believe I hold the non-Georgian record for the 'number of times voting for'- see above) gave the most biting rebuke of the Adminisration's policies in his speech and didn't back down one iota when Brooks the puppet took issue with his attack.

Update: I forgot, Hillary had a great one-liner as well. Something like ... "John Kerry has all of the qualities to be a great leader, I know I great leader when I see one".

5 Comments:

Blogger christine said...

from the UK the line I liked was the one about being able to be strong *and* smart, subtly indicating that the present incumbent might be one but he wasn't the other.

11:20 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Christine,

I agree that was also an excellent line but I thought it would have been stronger if it was phrased that being stong and smart didn't have to be mutually exclusive.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Steve Austin said...

Nice blog. Please vist my dogs blog.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Steve Austin said...

I like yuor blog. Please check out my cartoon dog blog.

11:33 PM  
Blogger jon said...

I was searching for big dog info and found this post. I agree totally!

Paul

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home