Monday, July 19, 2004

Why Wait ('til They Come For You)

Whenever I think about the Patriot Act, free speech zones, a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, attempts at 'state-sponsored' censorship (Moveon ads, Fahrenheit 9/11, Reagans the movie, Howard Stern), viscious attacks against any dissent (Blix, O'Neill, Clarke, ...), rallying around 'the flag' and the 'cross' in an effort to divide and conquer and single-issue voters, I can't help but be reminded of Pastor Martin Niemöller’s words:
"First they came for the Communists, but I was not a Communist, so I said nothing. Then they came for the Social Democrats, but I was not a Social Democrat, so I did nothing. Then came the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist. And then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I did little. Then when they came for me, there was no one left to stand up for me."
Most Americans are Caucasian ... but not all
Most Americans believe in God ... but not all
Most Americans that believe in God are Christians ... but not all
Most Americans are heterosexual ... but not all

Update: I forgot ...

Most American Presidents are elected ... but not all

Are you currently 'in favor'? Where will you be tomorrow? When will you cross them? Will you remain the right kind of 'Christian'? Will you stay in lock-step? And if you don't? Even if you support the 'ends', are the 'means' justified? Who will stand up for you? We're all Americans. Ask yourself what that means (or at least what it should mean). The Bush Administration and their religiously right constituency have gone too far ... stand up now. Stand up on November 2nd. Stand up for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all.


Post a Comment

<< Home