Thursday, July 07, 2005

Martin Peretz is dead to me

If you're still paying the fucking New Republic a dime, stop now.

Yesterday Marty Peretz reviewed Daniel Ronald Radosh's new book Red Star Over Hollywood: The Film Colony's Long Romance With The Left. I haven't read it yet, but, considering Radosh's previous writing, I'm sure it's going to be an encomium to Joseph McCarthy. Regardless, check out Peretz's last paragraph in the review:
So what has all this to do with the fate of the American left or American liberalism? Any movement that does not own up to its past hobbles its future. These flanks are still enchanted with the suicidal heroism of the self-deluded Hollywood communists. This twisted syndrome did not stop with apologetics and excuses for Stalinism. It continues with the tortured explanations and barely disguised extenuations for the Muslim terror war against democratic and civil society. The Radoshes have written a wise, honest, and perceptive book.
Are you fucking kidding me? I don't even know where to start with this bullshit. How can you possibly say, in the same article no less, that communism is the past that the "American left" has to own up to, but the presidency of Harry Truman doesn't belong in that past? Now that's revisionist history, my friends. As for the rest, there's actually no arguing the fact that the "American left" is better against terrorism than the right. (Link via Atrios.)

Remember, Radosh once wrote that "America is rent by two cultures," the "traditionalists" and "self-described progressives steeped in existential depravity." I'm sure, considering that passage, that the book is, as Peretz writes, wise and honest. I'm also sure that his next book is going to be Brownshirts and White Hoods: The Republican Party's Love Affair With Fascism and Racism. I mean, doesn't the right have to "own up to its past"? And, hey, this past actually deals with people who are members of the goddamn Republican party, not just people who are vaguely on the same side of the left/right divide.

I'm done with Peretz and his fellow pseudo-liberals. We all should be.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane Hamsher said...

I miss the Steven Glass days. It was better when they were just making it up.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh please. Thank God for Peretz; he at least keeps TNR in line. The thing would be a cesspool of liberal non sequitors without him.

End my subscription to TNR because of Peretz? Hell, he's the only reason I still subscribe.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home