Wednesday, August 03, 2005

It's time for Mark Kirk to apologize

I've said this over at DailyKos and I'll reiterate it here. I'm not angry about Mark Kirk's misrepresentation of his service because I'm a liberal (I hear the guy's actually quite moderate). I'm pissed because I'm a soldier.

The man is saying he served in Iraqi Freedom when he, well, didn't.

Who says? The Navy.

I called up the Navy Office of Information and left a message. Unlike the half dozen calls I've made to Matt Towson, the press secretary for Mark Kirk (847.940.0202), the Office of Information actually got back to me. I spoke to a very helpful Ms. Van. After explaining the situation to her -- without naming names -- she agreed with me that there is no way Mark Kirk should be claiming to have served in Iraqi Freedom. She actually laughed when I said that he could be claiming his weekend drill periods and two-week annual training at the Pentagon as meeting that requirement.

Ms. Van's bemused final answer? "Someone would have had to serve in Iraq to have served in Iraqi Freedom."

Update: Because this post was linked recently (May 31, 2010), I felt it important to point out that the date on this post is correct. I began noticing falsehoods in Kirk's claims about his career in 2005. My most recent post on the number of BS claims Kirk has made is here.

6 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

Yeah, since Ms. Van's final answer is, shall we say, intuitive -the impression left by this deceit is that he did serve in Iraq and he should be called out on it.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Bryan said...

He got the service medal, not the campaign medal.

Actually, in earlier conflicts he probably would have been awarded the campaign medal, but they are being rather strict about geography and time lately, which is good because they mean more.

His NDSM covers his Pentagon time, he should stop faking it.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Amy Allen said...

Apologize for serving his country?
Congressman Kirk is a distinguished combat veteran of Kosovo and Iraq(Northern Watch), among other conflicts(in addition to, of course, serving stateside in O:IF).

7:11 PM  
Blogger bolo said...

No, Amy Allen, Congressman Kirk does not have to apologize for his service in Kosovo and Iraq (Northern Watch) among other conflicts. He needs to apologize for lying about serving in Iraq in Operation: Iraqi Freedom.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Nitpicker said...

Please note, Amy, that when Kirk was claiming the Intelligence Officer of the Year award, he said it was for "combat service in Kosovo." Now, it merely says "for service in Kosovo" and a recent list of his awards in the Washington Post did not include a Combat Action Ribbon nor a "v" device, which would actually designate him a combat veteran. I get the feeling he's been lying in ways great and small about his career ever since he started running for office.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Carl Nyberg said...

Thank you for your diligent work on this.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home