Saturday, September 24, 2005

Operation Cover Bush's Ass

So, I seem to remember a whole bunch of conservative columnists saying that it wasn't the federal government's job to be first responders in the event of a hurricane. The locals were supposed to take care of themselves. "That's how FEMA works," Michelle Malkin wrote, "bottom up, not top down."

I won't reargue the fact that DHS has, as it says, "primary responsibility" for these sorts of events. I ask (foolishly, I know) for a little bit of consistent logic. Where are those conservatives today? Why aren't they telling Bush today that he's misusing the federal government by sending tens of thousands of troops to help out in Rita; sending FEMA people down there to help coordinate; and by hunkering down himself in the NorthCom command center?

Well? I'm waiting...


(Of course I just got a call yesterday evening from my unit commander, so, as of tomorrow, I'll be waiting down in Texas somewhere, proudly serving in Operation C.B.A.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Huber said...

They conveniently ignore that the NRP specifically states the Sec of Homeland Security is responsible for taking over when local and state resources are overwhelmed.

Funny how they do that.

Jeff

6:23 AM  
Anonymous N. Mallory said...

Good luck.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home