Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Things you gotta see













If you don't check these things out, my dog will be so disappointed in you.

Rich and I think alike. Did scientists just find the real Captain America?

Billmon's little joke on his blog finds its own way in the world...and into a Reuters story on Greespan's imminent retirement.

Colin Powell's former Chief of Staff will scare the living shit out of you. The guy's a retired colonel and clearly no partisan but, like me, he fears for the country. And, of course, he's got some perspective.
(T)he case that I saw for 4 plus years was a case that I have never seen in my studies of aberration, bastardizations, [Unintelligible], changes to the national security [UI] process. What I saw was a cabal between the Vice President of the United States, Richard Cheney, and the Secretary of Defense and [UI] on critical issues that made decisions that the bureaucracy did not know were being made.

And then when the bureaucracy was presented with those decisions and carried them out, it was presented in such a disjointed incredible way that the bureaucracy often didn’t know what it was doing as it moved to carry them out.

Read George Packer’s book The Assassin’s Gate if you haven’t already. George Packer, a New Yorker, reporter for The New Yorker, has got it right. I just finished it and I usually put marginalia in a book but, let me tell you, I had to get extra pages to write on.

And I wish, I wish I had been able to help George Packer write that book. In some places I could have given him a hell of a lot more specifics than he’s got. But if you want to read how the Cheney Rumsfeld cabal flummoxed the process, read that book. And, of course, there are other names in there, Under Secretary of Defense Douglas Feith, whom most of you probably know Tommy Frank said was stupidest blankety blank man in the world. He was. Let me testify to that. He was. Seldom in my life have I met a dumber man.
In case you don't know, Tommy Franks called Feith "the fucking stupidest guy on the face of the earth." (More here on Wilkerson's speech.)

Go watch this video. I think you should see the whole thing because the platitudes Condoleezza Rice uses really stand out as bullshit when you stack them in a nearly three-hour-long pile. If you don't have the time for that, though, I recommend scanning forward to about 2:54:15, after which Barbara Boxer begins to tear Condi down. Rice had previously admitted that it was possible we could be in Iraq for 10 years and Boxer brings out all the old quotes, including Rumsfeld's prediction that the war would last "last six days, six weeks, I doubt six months."

Good for my church. "We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision."

It's a bad week to be a Bushy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Huber said...

Good piece!

I hadn't heard the Franks quote.

As to Condi: I constantly wonder how someone so supposedly smart can act so unbelievable stupid.

That reminds me: I'll have to repost that Mark Twain quote over at my site.

Jeff

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home