Wednesday, October 12, 2005

What a difference a year makes

George W. Bush, October 8, 2004:
Question: Mr. president, if there were a vacancy in the Supreme Court and you had the opportunity to fill that position today, who do you choose and why?

Mr. Bush: I'm not telling. I really don't have, haven't picked anybody yet. Plus I want them all voting for me. I would pick somebody who would not allow their personal opinion to get in the way of the law. I would pick somebody who would strictly interpret the Constitution of the United States...

And so I would pick people that would be strict constructionists. We've got plenty of lawmakers in Washington, D.C. Legislators make law. Judges interpret the Constitution. And I suspect one of us will have a pick at the end of next year, next four years. And that's the kind of judge I'm going to put on there. No litmus test except for how they interpret the Constitution.
Today:
BUSH: People are interested to know why I picked Harriet Miers. They want to know Harriet Miers’ background. They want to know as much as they possibly can before they form opinions.

Part of Harriet Miers’ life is her religion. Part of it has to do with the fact that she was a pioneer woman and a trailblazer in the law in Texas.
Ouch. Even Rich Lowry says that Bush "thus displays a touching faith in the power of hypocrisy, double standards, and contradictions to see his nominee through."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home