Friday, December 02, 2005

Grow the fuck up

Update: Hi, MediaGirl visitors, please read this.

I had a guy suggest in e-mail that I misstepped in calling Ann Coulter a "bitch."
Come on, you destroyed your point with the needlessly provocative and sexist title...By attacking her for being a woman, which is what using the word bitch does, you are undermining your argument and empowering her to claim victimhood status.
First, I don't think this argument is even possible. Attacking Ann Coulter for being a woman is like attacking a lamppost for being and ocelot.

Second, I'm pretty sure that Ann didn't need me to "empower her" to talk a bunch of shit. Nor did she need me to "provoke" her. Jeebus.

Third, fuck that.

She is a bitch. Period. I don't give a damn whether you like the word or not, but I'm a fan of the old school (non-racial, non-genitalia-based) classics.

(I appreciate the rhetoric lesson that a single word can "destroy" an argument, by the way, I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm arguing with other delicate flowers whose brains shut down for fear they've offended. If "bitch" was meant for anyone, it was meant for Coulter.)

It pisses me off that liberals are supposed to tiptoe around all the time. Tiptoeing around is exactly what has been wrong with lefties for too damn long. I'm not saying that saying everyone has to go around saying bitch bitch bitch, but you can't just let these people keep throwing shit at you and think they'll go away. I've gotten several e-mails saying that I shouldn't give her the satisfaction. The satisfaction! That's what the geeky guy in the high school movie says when he gets his underwear pulled halfway up his back! "I won't give you the satisfaction of a comment, sir." Whether he's right or not, he comes off as (here comes another one) a pussy. That's the last thing we need, people.

That's why my conservative friends think they can win arguments by saying that I'm not being very "tolerant" when I point out that Pat Robertson is a whack job or that homeschooling seems often to be performed by frightening, anti-Christian-but-calling-themselves-Christian automatons.

Look, I'm probably one of a small number of Kansas boys from the middle of the state to have called himself a feminist in print and just maybe I've hung out in a different crowd, but the men and women I hang out with don't really think twice about "bitch." Yeah, we're prone to rude jokes and the suggestion that whomever we're talking to is gay, but that guy's likely to play it off. Are we anti-gay? You may want to claim so, but dammit all to hell if I haven't donated my time to Topeka's Equal Justice Coalition. We are, in other words, politically incorrect. Sure, there are words that are not only off limits but never even pop into our heads, but bitch? It's a fluffy bunny of a curse word.

Do I protest too much? Maybe, but this is not the time for ear-covering children. If we should have learned anything from Jack Murtha, it's that we need to start calling things like we see them. He saw chickenhawks and said "I like guys who got five deferments and never been there and send people to war, and then don't like to hear suggestions about what needs to be done." We could have said that all along, veteran or not, because they ignored Shinseki and others. Instead we caved and lost and I blame that bullshit, whiny, better-to-be-silent-than-offend attitude and the idea that these people are just going to go away if we ignore them.

Call me what you will, but if I feel "bitch," I'll say "bitch."

18 Comments:

Blogger california_reality_check said...

I think "bitch" is a fair comment. At least you didn't question her masculinity.

3:26 PM  
Blogger vern said...

HEAR, FUCKING HEAR!!!!

BRAVO!

FUCK NICETIES!

STUPID PUSSY RIGHT-WING WHACKJOBS ASSHOLES!

3:47 PM  
Blogger vern said...

By the way, that felt great...

3:47 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Let me see if I've got this right.

Coulter writing a book (Treason) that calls all liberals traitors? OK

Terry calling Coulter a "bitch"? Not OK

Hummmm. Well, blogs are informal, so I believe the use of slang is generally accepted. Let's see if Terry is using this word correctly. Checking out on-line slang dictionaries I find:

(http://eslcafe.com/slang/list.html)
bitch [offensive] (1): a very unpleasant woman.
Sounds like Coulter.

(http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=bitch&x=0&y=0)
Bitch (2b): a malicious, spiteful, or domineering woman
Sounds like Coulter.

(http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/b.htm)
bitch (1): A contemptible woman.
Sounds like Coulter.

So, Terry's usage is correct.

But, we didn't need a dictionary to know that.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Michael Bersin said...

Ah yes, the terminology is succinct. Like it or not, when the term is used most people get the drift.

As for bestowing the label on the right wingnuts' useful idiot who is the recipient of the descriptor, my 76 year old mother (as radical a feminist in practical action as you could find and who taught me by example in my youth to swear in four languages) would probably agree.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Professor Booty said...

What's really annoying about complaints re "bitch" is that we take for granted the existence of many male-specific epithets. "Schmuck," "putz," "dumbass" are among the nicer terms that are generally applied to men exclusively. Getting dirtier, "dick" and "prick" are obviously male-specific, but so are "asshole" and "cocksucker," no doubt reflecting latent homophobia on the part of the insulter. There's really no way to "nicely" call someone a bad name, and that's the whole point. It may actually be more sexist that there are so few woman-specific insults, compared to man-specific -- perhaps a soft bigotry of low expectations on the part of insult-hurlers, as though women can't take the heat of more than a few commonly-used dirty names. Anyway, I generally use another, even more verboten woman-specific epithet when I refer to that see-you-next-Tuesday Ann Coulter.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Well, if you don't want to use 'bitch' you could use that one you used a couple posts ago: "bonesack". Now "bonesack" might have a slightly different connotation when applied to Anne of a Thousand Boners than to some commenter defending Oliver North. But then, Oliver North is Anne's bitch.

2:10 AM  
Blogger Len said...

Your mistake may be in not using a descriptor far harsher than "bitch".

7:29 AM  
Blogger iamcoyote said...

I believe Rude Pundit has the term that the Professor is referring to.

12:34 PM  
Blogger red rabbit said...

Anne's a man, Any of Professor Booty's "suggestions" are apt in this case, particulary "cocksucker." But my personal favorite term for the bitch? Chupa Cabra

12:55 PM  
Blogger gudpackage said...

First of, Anne C is a butch. Second, I know a number of male bitches (hell, I can be one at times) so gender isnt the determining factor behind the use of the term.
gudpackage

PS: Our mutual frind Cathie turned me onto ur blog. Good stuff. May I link you on my blog?

1:38 PM  
Blogger St. Whatshername said...

Let's see...
Ann Coulter= bitch.
Yeah,
I'd say you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

darbimae

4:10 PM  
Blogger Michael Ryle said...

I don't know. There is an argument against such name-calling that has nothing to do with morality or pusillanimity, and it goes like this. In my view, Bush and his followers, to include Coulter, Hannity, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, etc. ad nauseum are simply a bunch of what we in the program call dry drunks, and there is a saying which I subscribe to wholeheartedly which holds that you should never argue with a drunk because then people won't be able to tell the difference.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Michael Ryle said...

I don't know. There is an argument against such name-calling that has nothing to do with morality or pusillanimity, and it goes like this. In my view, Bush and his followers, to include Coulter, Hannity, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, etc. ad nauseum are simply a bunch of what we in the program call dry drunks, and there is a saying which I subscribe to wholeheartedly which holds that you should never argue with a drunk because then people won't be able to tell the difference.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Mark Adams said...

Fuck-N-Aye

4:15 AM  
Blogger mil0 said...

people who try to make others feel ashamed for using supposedly gender-specific epithets like "bitch" and "pussy" need to grow up and quit being such ginormous dicks.

8:19 AM  
Blogger SkyPilot said...

I love these games that some people like to play. Keep the children busy talking about what they should and shouldn't say and that way they can continue to screw everyone over and be as vile as they wanna be.

Any republicans that try to divert you from making your point are just doing so because they don't have an answer for what you are saying about them or their actions.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home