Monday, December 12, 2005

He's not even trying to hide it anymore

You can quit wondering how Bush really thinks about the people dying for his bullshit war. It's becoming obvious.
Dead heroes are supposed to come home with their coffins draped with the American flag -- greeted by a color guard.

But in reality, many are arriving as freight on commercial airliners -- stuffed in the belly of a plane with suitcases and other cargo.
And:
Long before he came to Iraq, Spec. Russell Nahvi hoped to save the world. In a spiral-bound notebook filled with math equations, he jotted his secret yearnings: "I PRAY one day I can make the world proud of me. I hope I can restore an unknown peace to wartorn nations, peoples, families, friends."

Nahvi's ambitions led him to a dark road on the outskirts of this town, where, on a patrol Oct. 19 a bomb hidden in a pothole dismembered him and incinerated his Humvee...

Afterward, the Pentagon tersely attributed the soldiers' deaths to "enemy indirect fire." An officer handed Nahvi's mother, Nancy, a form asking if she wanted her 24-year-old son's body parts returned if they were recovered. President Bush sent his parents a three-paragraph condolence letter. It contained a typo: "God less you."
And today:
Q Since the inception of the Iraqi war, I'd like to know the approximate total of Iraqis who have been killed. And by Iraqis I include civilians, military, police, insurgents, translators.

THE PRESIDENT: How many Iraqi citizens have died in this war? I would say 30,000, more or less, have died as a result of the initial incursion and the ongoing violence against Iraqis. We've lost about 2,140 of our own troops in Iraq.

Yes.

Q Mr. President, thank you --

THE PRESIDENT: I'll repeat the question. If I don't like it, I'll make it up. (Laughter and applause.)
Ah, yes, the perfect time for a fucking joke: "I'm responsible for over 32,000 deaths and I think it's funny to joke about making things up." Soulless, soulless bastard.

Update: SusanHu was thinking along the same lines, but much earlier.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Good post - we've gotta keep spreading the word on this nonsense.

Laughter??? Applause!?!?

Freight!?!?

Linked to this in my post today at Everything Between.

cheers

2:28 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Glad to know I wasn't the only one deeply offended by his comments - and the fact our soldiers are being returned as freight.

What bothered me the most was "more or less" as I blogged about earlier. What kind of inhumane bastard refers to human lives in "more or less" terms?

It's shocking, disgusting and sad.

7:45 PM  
Blogger teh l4m3 said...

He's certainly his mother's son. Piece of shit.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Montague said...

Yes, I noticed that immediately on seeing the transcript. What's with the joking? Maybe Bush and the audience can whizz right by the 32K body count and start yukking it up again because they purposely keep themselves away from the horror that has damaged the lives of so many. Bush won't even talk to Cindy Sheehan. Attends no military funerals. Etc., etc.

Contrast that with Murtha, who (I have read) goes to Walter Reed weekly to speak with badly wounded, often permanently disabled soldiers returning from Iraq. Murtha has the decency and class not to laugh. He knows how horrible it is because he routinely talks with the very people suffering from this war.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home