Friday, December 22, 2006

Curt Weldon: Public Enemy?

Justin Rood reports over at TPM that "Curt Weldon got a letter from the government the other day." The L.A. Times:
A federal grand jury has subpoenaed congressional records from Rep. Curt Weldon (R-Pa.) as part of an escalating Justice Department corruption probe aimed at determining whether Weldon used his influence to win favors for family members, people familiar with the investigation said.

The previously unreported subpoena was issued by a grand jury in Washington before the November election, although it is unclear when Weldon received it.
Seems Weldon might have violated House rules by keeping the subpoena secret. This is serious stuff, but, in a sign that either studying the allusive writings of Pynchon/Faulkner/etc. or traveling the link-heavy Web has damaged my psyche, I read Rood's line and instantly heard Chuck D:

I got a letter from the government
The other day
I opened and read it
It said they were suckers
They wanted me for their army or whatever
Picture me given' a damn - I said never
Here is a land that never gave a damn
About a brother like me and myself
Because they never did
I wasn't wit' it, but just that very minute...
It occured to me
The suckers had authority
Cold sweatin' as I dwell in my cell
How long has it been?
They got me sittin' in the state pen...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home