Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Hammer of Jihad?

I've always considered the story of the Maccabees one of a people, oppressed by overbearing invaders with no appreciation of their values system, rising up and regaining their independence when pushed too far. For those of you who don't know, the repurification of the Temple in Jerusalem after Jews led by Judas Maccabeus retook the city is the origin of the celebration of Hannukah.

So, isn't it bothersome that The Corner's Andrew Stuttaford says the Maccabees were driven by the same "violent religious fanaticism" as jihadis and the Spanish Inquisition?

Update: I'll admit I got most of what I know about this story from my Bible--and, yes, Virginia, if you haven't been paying attention that means I'm a Catholic--and oddly enough, it sounds as if Stuttaford is pretty much right on here. He's right in general about his view of D'Souza, but also right about the fact that the Maccabees were somewhat more like, say, al Qaeda in Iraq--an extreme sect of a religion which forced their will upon others. Fascinating.


Post a Comment

<< Home