Monday, February 12, 2007

A note to an e-mailer

____________ Your wrath is nothing to me,
Not even if you go to the deepest foundations
of Earth and Sea, where Cronus and Iapetus
Dwell out of the light of Hyperion the Sun,
Cooled by no winds, in the trench of Tartarus--
Not even then will I care that you are angry,
Because there is nothing more shameless than you.

____________- The Iliad, Book 8
_____________Stanley Lombardo, trans.

A note: If you haven't read Lombardo's masterful, modern translations of The Iliad, The Odyssey, and Aeneid, you are missing out on versions of these classics which read briskly, but in the use of vernacular, highlight layers of depth you may have missed when reading your Chapman, Pope or Butler versions. Lombardo, a University of Kansas professor, bona fide Zen master and certified billiards instructor, tries to get back to the root of the perfomance art the epic poetry once was and the resulting translations seem the collaborative works of Alistair MacLean and Billy Collins. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

OK, Terry, I haven't read Lombardo's translations. Or anyone elses, for that matter. I guess it's time for me to get reading!

4:32 AM  
Blogger Righteous Bubba said...

Got my Lombardo. Good call.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home