Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Why "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" doesn't work, in a nutshell.

The first service member wounded in the Iraq War, Marine Sgt. Eric Alva, is coming out to help repeal the DADT policy. This stood out for me.
I have tons and tons of friends that were in the military at the time who knew I was gay because I confided in them. Everybody had the same reaction: "What's the big deal?"
And that's why DADT doesn't work. Service members are supposed to--no, required to, actually--report their buddies when they come out to them, but soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines, for the most part, don't give a damn about what people do out of uniform. They only care about whether a person can carry their own weight and cover their comrades' asses (um, so to speak).

1 Comments:

Anonymous dekerivers said...

One of my readers commented recently that gay rights are ’special rights’, and since Alva is a gay member of the United States military I am wondering if my reader feels that this patriotic American has any reason to want justice. Alva is bravely fighting to end the bigoted notion of ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ that has cost the U.S. taxpayers millions of dollars, and ended the military careers of many citizens. While Alva was ready to give his life for his country my reader sits in America hoping to deny ’special rights’ to patriotic citizens. One really has to wonder what goes on in the heads of bigoted conservatives.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home