Friday, March 30, 2007

And the prize is ....



A photo of a .22 caliber rifle bullet passing through four pieces of colored chalk.


Four people tried to answer the question on how to trigger the strobe when taking bullet photos. As a thank-you, I've sent the hi-res version of this photo to two of them (Bryan and Fargus). If the other two (J. and El Tiberon) will send me their email addresses I will get it off to them as well.

This afternoon, a colleague and I took the photo above. We were inspired (in part) by a photo a group of my students took about 4 years ago.

I rather like this top image -- the bands of color show in the debris around the chalk, the details of the larger chunks of yellow chalk, and smaller chunks of blue chalk are distinct (at least in the hi-res version). The cracks across the chalks are quite clear, and we see that the yellow is beginning to move an appreciable distance while the blue barely knows that it has been hit.

If I were to do it over, I might use the same colors as in this bottom one, but play with the timing some (i.e., the placement of the bullet relative to the chalk as the strobe fires).


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Nitpicker said...

That. Is. Excellent.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks! :-)

I've not done any tweaking in Photoshop with these images -- or with any I've posted here at Nitpicker. The colors are a little off because of the blueish hue of the strobe.

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jim

how do I send you my e-mail not via the comment section?

3:01 PM  
Blogger J. said...

I'm with anonymous on this one.....

9:12 PM  
Blogger Nitpicker said...

Jim's e-mail is jimbales (at) hotmail.com.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks, Terry, for passing on the email.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home