Friday, March 30, 2007

More conservative wisdom

Crotchety, conservative ogler of 15-year-olds John Derbyshire has had it up to here with cell phones.
And what do people say into their cell phones? They tell each other where they are and what they're doing, that's what. I rode in a shuttle from La Guardia parking lot to the terminal next to a middle-aged woman with a cell phone. She dialed up. "Hey! Just thought I'd give you a call. ... I'm in the shuttle, going to the terminal. ... Right. ... OK, see you in a few days. Bye!" Then she dialed someone else and told her the same thing. I've been having visions of the rest of this woman's day. "Hi! I'm in the departure lounge..." "Hey! How's it going? I just got on the plane..." "Whassup? I got caught short—I'm in the bathroom voiding my bowels..." Is this what the human race has come to?
Well, he's got a point, of course, but it's a point he has undermined with the rest of his addition to the "fart-in", which is, in fact, mostly about telling people where he is and what he's doing. It begins:
OK, landed in Pittsburgh, a city I was never in before. Nice hotel room, looking right across a fine steel bridge to Pirates Stadium.
Fascinating stuff, John.

The news of irony's death, it appears, has been greatly exaggerated.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The use of cell for to update those who care and those who don't about your position was VERY, suspiciously, similarly mocked by Garrison Keillor awhile back. Inadvertent irony and plagiarism all at once! Pretty much sums up the corner, doesn't it.

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home