Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Only idiots fight over silly movies

Victor Davis Hanson asks, "Why the liberal furor over 300?"

I ask, "What the hell is he talking about?"

I know Hanson predicted there would be such a furor before the event, but I've seen little in the way of ranting on the part of liberals about the film. Hell, I saw the movie and I loved it. I thought it was beautifully done--despite obvious flaws in the script--and well worth the money I spent. In the end, I enjoyed it because it's not only an adaptation of a comic book it is a comic book--complete with silly poses, ridiculously outsized characters and a take on the topic so historically flawed it's laughable. It's about as serious and historically accurate as Lone Ranger serials and anyone attempting to draw parallels between the movie and reality might as well try to draw deep political meaning from this morning's Beetle Bailey strip.

Hanson and his conservative brethren, it seems, desperately want to fight about fantasy because, here in the full-color real world, Americans are fleeing their party and policies in droves.

Update: Bush continues to argue using fantasyland facts.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeff a.k.a. TrojanGuy said...

I'm a liberal who saw 300, but apparently I didn't get "the memo" that I am supposed to be throwing a hissyfit over it. What exactly are we liberals supposed to be protesting about 300? The amazing fight scenes? I had better check to see if our secret underground email system has my current email address...

12:55 PM  
Blogger anon said...

No, no, no. This has the potential for great fun.

I submit: Why the conservative furor over "Norbit"?

12:58 PM  
Blogger Cilicious said...

I wanted to like 300 more than I actually did, but I still had a damn good time. I suppose some might find the flick a bit fascist, but for me, I just didn't take any further than what it was: a cinematic graphic novel.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's always a liberal furor, often several.

My 12 year old Xbox game playing son wants to see it -- good idea?

(Which reminds me, back when he was younger, 8 or 9, when the first of the Lord of the Rings trilogy was out, we ended up in a theater watching it, due to some misadventures and a hesitant choice by me. He hunkered down in his seat, and held my hand through out the movie, once the bucolic hobbit intro was over. During one intense scene I noticed he was pretty wide eyed, and I asked if he was all right. He nodded without looking away from the screen, and said intently, " This is Greaaaat!"

7:49 PM  
Blogger Nitpicker said...

Anon,

I know this sounds like a punt, but it depends on the kid. My 13-year-old and I went while my 12-year-old was camping with his Boy Scout troop. There were some images of violence--among them a particularly gruesome, slow-mo beheading--I was concerned about and some sexuality that made me a wee bit uncomfortable, but, all in all, I thought the teen took it well.

But my 12-year-old? He's just not ready for that. It has nothing to do with his age. He's just a bit more innocent than his brother.

8:38 PM  
Blogger anon said...

Via Roy, this.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I have to wonder why the "critics" who tried to read way too much into this very entertaining flick .. I just wanted to grab them by the throats and shout "IT'S JUST A FRIGGIN COMIC-BOOK MOVIE," albiet a fairly great one at that

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home