Saturday, September 13, 2008

Palin's world better than the Matrix

When the movie The Matrix came out, I most enjoyed the conceit which seemed stolen from directly from the mind of Philip K. Dick: the ability of the characters to have knowledge and skill plugged directly into their minds. In a way, it's the idea I liked most in Groundhog Day too. Bill Murray's character, with all the time in the world on his hands, gets to read whatever he wants, learns to play the piano and even gets a basic grasp of medical techniques.

Because human life is limited and knowledge is not, being human is all about opportunity cost. As I tell my sons, every choice you make leads to your next opportunity to make a choice. Even when you make the (ostensibly) "correct" choice, you've eliminated your chance to make another.

That's why I'm wishing today that I lived in the world Sarah Palin seems to inhabit. When Charles Gibson* asked her about national security issues and foreign affairs, she said that Alaska is close to Russia. When asked what insights this might have given her, she responded, "They're our next-door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

As one wag over at Balloon Juice said in comments "(W)hen I look out my window I can see the moon. Doesn’t make me a fucking astronaut now, does it?" But this is just sour grapes. This is an exciting world Governor Palin lives in. She can see Russia and she's a foreign policy expert. One wonders if this is the only area in which her power works. Could she, for example, watch a Bruce Lee movie and then Jeet Kune-Do a guy's ass? Could she visit Fallingwater and then cantilever some slabs of concrete over the edge of a waterfall? Inquiring minds want to know...

*Originally wrote Charlie Rose. Oy.

Update: She can see Russia from her house!

2 Comments:

Blogger Katty said...

Don't you mean Charlie Gibson, not Charlie Rose? I can only dream that Rose would ever be allowed to interview her.

4:10 PM  
Blogger uoti said...

"You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home