Friday, October 31, 2008

A one man "Southern Strategy"

For all the McCain campaign's talk last week about how they're supported "real America"--and real Americans like Sam "Joe the Plumber" Wurzelbacher--when I would suggest to my Republican friends that it was not-so-subtle coded language for "white people," an attempt to "otherize" Obama and churn up racial fears, my friends would get very angry with me and suggest I was being paranoid.

This morning, I played them this story from NPR and they had to admit I had a point. Joe the Plumber, it seems, doesn't "do" code very well.
Don't listen to talk show hosts, don't sit there and listen to papers, I mean, get out there, get the information. Learn it. You know, the facts are out there. Once you find out the facts, it becomes quite obvious...

Get out and vote and, as far as my vote, it's going to be for a real American, John McCain.
Ross Douthat lost his shit yesterday when a lot of this stuff started to become clearer, writing, with dripping irony, as he began a long long rant that, fine, "Maybe the "Joe the Plumber" line is a super-coded attempt to play the race-and-welfare card...." Gee, Ross, you think?


Post a Comment

<< Home