Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kirk still won't admit full truth

And his apology may be too little, too late.

I spoke to a Chicago-based reporter who was at Kirk's press conference yesterday and was told that while Kirk admitted to being counseled for conducting "partisan political activities" while on active duty, he refused to admit that the counseling was justified and that he had actually violated regulations. He's trying to admit to the punishment without admitting to the crime, so I still want to see his Annual Retirement Point Record, which I have requested from the Navy.

If he won't admit the truth, I'll get the Navy to show me the truth.

By the way, here's part of what Kirk said yesterday.
I think the scrutiny is absolutely appropriate. Many people, I should say, in the Navy, many sailors have made mistakes and I am one of them. But we live up to duty, honor, country, which means that if you make a mistake, own it, fix it, apologize, make sure it doesn't happen again.
Here's what I said he should have been saying since I first reported about the Pentagon's complaints.
You know what? I screwed up and talked to reporters when I shouldn't have and I tweeted on active duty and I got my knuckles rapped over it by the same guys who love my work as an intel officer. I was wrong and, hell, I'm proud to be a part of an organization that takes even small errors like this seriously. A dedication to a code is one of the things that drew me to the Navy.
Perhaps I should charge a consulting fee.

Unfortunately for Kirk, he's been lying so long he's become a joke.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home