Thursday, June 03, 2010

My story and Kirk's story

When my unit deployed to Afghanistan, we had a few initial difficulties getting there. The C-5 we took from Manhattan, Kansas, had to stop in Columbia, South Carolina due to a mechanical problem. We stayed overnight, getting only a few hours of sleep before we were up and back at the airfield, where we waited and waited and finally got back in the air, but in another plane.

I don't sleep well in cargo planes, so I and a few others chatted, watched movies on our laptops and played cards as we traveled to Germany. Upon arrival at Ramstein Air Force Base--ostensibly to refuel--we were informed that this plane now had problems and would need to be fixed. We were ushered into a waiting area specifically for our plane, where the uncomfortable, fixed-arm seats were bolted together, keeping us from finding a place to lie down. Even those who had brought all their things from the plane and attempted to nest found the room far too cold to sleep.

About eight-and-a-half hours of sleepless freezing later, we finally headed to Afghanistan, landing in the rising heat of a Bagram morning. The five of us who were headed on to Kandahar, though, had more waiting ahead of us. We ended up sitting for another bunch of hours on our pallet of gear in the full Bagram sun.

Eventually, I did get to climb onto a C-130 for Kandahar. A C-130 is a much more comfortable vehicle in which to sleep than a C-5, I've found. So we drifted quickly to sleep.

We were awakened about 45 minutes later as the plane bucked and jumped and the brilliant light of flares shined through the small windows. We had been fired upon by a shoulder-launched rocket and the crew was firing off chaff in case it was heat-seeking and moving quickly out of the rockets path. After more than 40 sleepless hours, though, it was hard to fully rouse ourselves enough to be afraid.

Here's the thing: Later, it struck me that I could have been ended on my first night in Afghanistan if not for the skill of that aircrew. It all came back to me and I was oddly, retroactively frightened. Now, just after five years later, I can very easily relive the whole event in my mind, despite the sleeplessness.

Now, if someone came to me tomorrow and tried to claim it didn't happen, I'd tell that person to fornicate himself roughly. Because, sure, it was verified a few days later by report and, yeah, there were others on the plane who could back me up, but that shit happened because I remember it vividly and no one can tell me different.

That's why this tells me Mark Kirk is even more full of crap than I ever thought.
In a new disclosure, Kirk acknowledged that his campaign's promotion of him coming under fire while flying aboard an intelligence reconnaissance plane in Iraq may not be correct because there is no record of whether his aircraft was being fired upon.
There are things in this world you will always be able to recall clearly: the birth of a child; the moment a doctor describes the disease which might very well end your life; that thing you did in high school which leaves you either elated or ashamed to this day.

And the day you were fucking shot at in a goddam airplane.

Mark Kirk has proven he is a pathological liar.

P.S.: By "his campaign's promotion of him coming under fire while flying aboard an intelligence reconnaissance plane," what Kirk really means is "that thing I said with my own mouth."


Blogger Ellen Beth Gill said...

Carl figured out another lie in Kirk's Sun Times interview video:

Around the 10:55 mark of the video, one of the women asks, "How big is intelligence officer of the year?"

Kirk responds, "According to the Navy Awards Manual both awards are prestigious."

That statement sounded false to me. How would the Navy imbue an award with prestige. The awards merely are. They are prestigious because of the people who get them.

So I used the Google. I found SECNAVINST 1650.1H, Navy and Marine Corps Awards Manual (Warning: 252 page pdf).

Guess which award isn't covered in the instruction? The Rufus Taylor Award.

Guess which other award isn't covered in the instruction? Intelligence officer of the year.

Kirk is so used to dropping a little military jargon and having that end the questions. He's in way over his head now. He either doesn't realize the rules of the game have changed or he just can't function in a world where he has to get the details right.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Berkeley Bear said...


There's also this story (about the 12 minute mark of the clip below) told in his first appearance as a candidate for Senate about thinking there was "weather over the target" but being told it was flak. The story was inconsistent with his role as an "observer" on an EC-130 flight, and not mentioned anywhere else. Now he says not shot at and never claimed he was. So - lying now or lying then?

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home